Cambodia’s first Social Security body was actually set-up as early as 1955 but the Khmer Rouge and the country’s years of reconstruction had postponed a wide implementation. Today, the National Social Security Fund NSSF is spreading out to companies but some corporations are also relying on Group Private Medical Insurance to offer more benefits and increase employees’ loyalty.
As of 2020, Cambodia has more than 10 Insurance companies providing health insurance solutions that are mainly dedicated to the corporate segment.
HR Managers do face multiple challenges in fully satisfying employees with strict budgets.
Here are some of the major points for the HR leadership to look into:
- Understand the internal needs & frustrations from the employees (Overall cover amount, Maternity delivery inclusion, Customer service, Claim settlement, Data exchange…)
- Benchmark competition’s benefits (Similar industry have huge gaps in Cover amount)
- Identify the acceptable restrictions for the employees
- Select the Insurance companies (Based on reputation, Company’s requirements, etc…)
- Get in touch with an Insurance broker to outsource the process of product and service comparison and selection as well as day-to-day support during the life of the contract
- Check the Insurance reimbursement process (Easiness to Claim, Integrity in Evaluation, Speed of payment, Mean of payment…)
- Have a wide and relevant Hospital Network (for Direct Billing)
- Fast and Trusted communication between the Hospital Network & the Insurance company
- Make sure to have an automated online workflow for enrolment/ disenrollment of the employees
- Agree with the Insurer on the Announcement/ Communication plan about the Health plans to the employees (Lack of communication create misunderstanding)
- Full access to the claim data in a real time environment (Claim data is critical for all parties)
Cambodia’s local practices show that price is often the only factor in the choice of the Insurer/ plan. However, HR leadership should keep in mind that upgrading from a few dollars may allow additional benefits such as Maternity or Worldwide cover that will be highly valued.
Finally, build a trusted relationship with your Insurer. Sharing anonymous claim data and having real conversations will allow you to maintain stable Premiums in the long run.